Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Baroque and Mannerist Sculpture in Italy

As I begin to save to travel abroad this summer I reflect on my brief stay in Florence last summer.  I truly regret having e-coli, but not my rainy day lost when I turned the corner to encounter the David in the Piazza della Signoria.  The Piazza would become a pass thru and a stopping point over the next 10 days until my departure to marvel at the works left in large part due to the Medici family.

David, 1504, Michelangelo, Piazza della Signora, Photo Taken May 2011
Menelaus Supporting the Body of Patroclus, Roman Sculpture, Piazza della Signora, Photo Taken May 2011

Perseus with the Head of Medusa, Cellini, 1554, Piazza della Signora, Photo Taken May 2011
Rape of Polyxena, Pio Fedi, 1892, Piazza della Signora, Photo taken May 2011 (for anyone not familiar with the term, rape during this time meant kidnap)

Lion of the Loggia dei Lanzi, Medici Lions, Photo taken May 2011

Hercules and the Centaur, Giambologna, 1600, Piazza della Signora, Photo taken May 2011

I look forward to the adventures in Europe this summer without e-coli (fingers crossed)......

No comments:

Post a Comment