Saturday, June 29, 2013

Life Owes Me Nothing

Carlos Palacios, Insectoart.com

Life owes me nothing. Let the years
Bring clouds or azure, joy or tears;
  Already a full cup I've qualified;
  Already wept and loved and laughed,
And seen, in ever-endless ways,
New beauties overwhelm the days.


Life owes me nought. No pain that waits
Can steal the wealth from memory's gates;
  No aftermath of anguish slow
  Can quench the soul fire's early glow.
I can breathe, exulting, each new breath,
Embracing Life, ignoring Death.


Life owes me nothing. One clear morn
Is boon enough for being born;
  And be it ninety years or ten,
  No need for me to question when.
While Life is mine, I'll find it good,
And greet each hour with gratitude.

~ Author Unknown, from A Treasury of Poems compiled by Sarah Anne Stuart, p 233

No comments:

Post a Comment